Some interesting links for Italy and France as well as a few other regions –
Please contact Classicvacationrental.com for accommodation recommendations – whether for villas, apartments, hotels or special little places;
We also provide detailed assistance with itinerary planning, booking of hotels, car rentals, wine tours, cooking classes and so much more… we have spent years and many travels collecting this information – we would be delighted to share this with you.
The links and information below is just for extra back ground;
Italian government sites
US Department of State This webpage is the US Department of State Department official webpage with Country Specific Information about Italy. Check this page for Visa information, Safety concerns and more pertaining to US citizens.
Marriage of American Citizens in Italy - This page provides information about Getting Married in Italy - for American Citizens in Italy
Italian Embassy Washington DC, includes hundreds of Italian links
Italian Tourism -Money matters in Italy - useful information about use of credit and debit cards, Tax (VAT) refunds, currency etc.
Italian Cultural Institute
In San Francisco - Italian Cultural Institute of San Francisco
425 Washington Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, California 94111 - USA
Tel. (415) 788 7142 | Fax.(415) 788-6389
web:www.iicbelgrado.esteri.it/IIC_Sanfrancisco Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Italy - general information
Leaning Tower of Pisa – information about Tower of Pisa
Pisa - virtual tour
The Val d'orcia is the beautiful area south of Siena - cypress line winding roads and rolling hills, the setting for the film "The English Patient" - now a UNESCO heritage site - click here for their webpage UNESCO - Val d'Orcia.
Ideas and passions:
Terre di Siena Suggested Scenic Routes south of Siena
Walled towns of Italy - a good article from About.com
Paradoxplace - - Italian Food and restaurants - an interesting blog/website with a good list of restaurants throughout Italy - worth a quick look .
Ceramics in Italy:
The following are well known often requested locations for those who love Italian hand painted ceramics
Tuscany - Rampini Ceramics
Umbria - Deruta, near Perugia and Assisi in Umbria - is a great place to buy Cermaics, well known for its nand painted dishes, platters and more - Deruta Ceramicshttp://www.lifeinitaly.com/tourism/tuscany/default.asp
- Uffizi Gallery - virtual guide
- Florence art guide - Choose your language and explore the monuments, historic periods, artists and art works that have made Florence such a wonderful city. Just click on the map to start or look up the Index.
- Institute and Museum of the History of Sciencehttp://galileo.imss.firenze.it/ - located in Florence, right on the Arno near the Ponte Vecchio, you can view parts of their collection online
- Florence - airporthttp://www.safnet.it/pagine/a_inglese/benveing.htm official website for Florence airport -
- Malpensa Express - express train from airport to downtown Milan
- La Scala - home page for La Scala opera house
Tours in Rome – www.planningitaly.com - read through and contact us for bookings
Transportation and driving in Italy
Touring Club Italia - for maps and driving information in Italy
Tips for Driving in Italy the well known Slowtrav website provides great information for driving in Italy
Italian Train Information
- Italian State Railwayhttp://www.fs-on-line.com/ - website contains timetables and good information for travellers going by train.
To buy train tickets go to http://www.raileurope.ca/index.html
Art, Culture & History.....
- Rome - what's on - Events, music, culture and happenings in Rome
- Etruscan Network: Internet Resources - links to pages on the Etruscans.
- The Italian Wine Review - produced by Kyle Phillips in Florence, very knowledgable on Italian wines.
- Chianti Classico Consortium - founded in 1924.
- Tuscan Wineries -
- Castello Banfi: this American owned winery in Montalcino now has its own Web site that is very informative.
- La Torre
- Castello di Monterinaldi in Chianti - a winery in Radda, in the very center of the Chianti Classico district.
- Tenuta Torciano - San Gimignano
- Castello Verrazzano - just north of Greve on the 222 Route, this beautiful winery conducts great tours of its cellars and has wonderful sampler lunches.
- Castello Vicchiomaggio
- Calabrian Wineries
- Librandi - from their web site.... "The Librandi wine company is headquartered at Ciró Marina, an attractive small town on the Ionian coast of Calabria near Punta Alice, a southern promontory on the Gulf of Taranto. This area is ideally suited for grape growing due to its excellent clay soil and its location between the sea and the Sila Mountains which creates extreme differences in day and night-time temperatures. The Librandi family has grown grapes in this area for four generations."
- Worldwide search for cybercafes - great website for finding public internet locations wherever you travel.
Rail passes and tickets
Links About Paris:
- Official Website for Paris tourism – All about Paris – French tourism
- Official Web Sites
Links about France
Burgundy Tourism for information about Burgundy region -- a good site for great photos and ideas for this region
Aquitaine Tourism ( incl. Bordeaux region, Dordogne, ( Sarlat) Perigueux,etc) a good site for great photos and ideas for this region
- Vive La France! - Programmes in French on UK TV and French cultural events in London.